Making bird cakes to feed the birds is a great way to encourage wildlife into the garden. It's also a safe, fun activity to do with your children.
What you need (makes several)
- 5 digestive biscuits
- 1 cup bird seeds or peanuts
- Half a pack of lard
- Crush the biscuits in a mixing bowl using the back of a wooden spoon – and set aside.
- Do the same with the seeds or peanuts.
- Cut the lard into small pieces.
- Mix the biscuits, seeds or peanuts and the lard together in the bowl.
- Take handfuls of the mixture and form into small cake shapes with your fingers. (You should have enough for several.)
- Put them in the fridge to harden, then place on a table or windowsill ready for the birds!